The City of Montebello is committed to working with citizens in a joint effort to preserve and improve our residential neighborhoods. We share your desire to maintain the quality of life throughout your neighborhood.
To ensure a tranquil neighborhood, community standards for residential areas have been established to determine the proper maintenance of residential properties and neighborhoods. Community standards are reflected in the Montebello residential codes. Maintaining and enhancing our neighborhoods is also important because it protects the property value of your home.
The staff of Code Enforcement Officers work to investigate complaints of property maintenance violations. If a violation is noted, our Officers work with the property owners and tenants to correct any violations and bring the property into compliance with City codes.
Standard Enforcement Services
Code Enforcement enforces the Montebello Municipal Code and other related State codes. Below is a list of our standard enforcement services:
Code Enforcement investigates and conducts inspections in residential, industrial and commercial locations for code violations, including but not limited to:
- Hazardous property conditions
- Overgrown vegetation
- Housing Code violations (broken windows, peeling paint)
- Inoperable and abandoned vehicles on private property
- Signs, including signs in public right-of-way and signs without permits.
- Solid waste (early set-out of containers, inadequate containers, illegal dumping).
- Zoning requirements,( i.e. illegal dwelling units and use requirements).
- Business license and regulatory permits.
- Health and Safety Code violations.
- Public nuisances.
- Temporary Use/Conditional Permit enforcement.
- Other Municipal and State related codes.
- Inoperative vehicles on private property.
- General property maintenance issues that are visible from the public right-of-way.
- Illegal garage conversions.
- Lack of required live maintained landscaping.
- Street vendors (also handled by the Police Department).